View definition in:
Killing of women and girls because of their gender, which can take the form of, inter alia:
- the murder of women as a result of intimate partner violence;
- the torture and misogynist slaying of women
- killing of women and girls in the name of “honour”;
- targeted killing of women and girls in the context of armed conflict;
- dowry-related killings of women;
- killing of women and girls because of their sexual orientation and gender identity;
- the killing of aboriginal and indigenous women and girls because of their gender;
- female infanticide and gender-based sex selection foeticide;
- genital mutilation related deaths;
- accusations of witchcraft; and
- other femicides connected with gangs, organized crime, drug dealers, human trafficking and the proliferation of small arms.
The killing of a woman by an intimate partner and the death of a woman as a result of a practice that is harmful to women. Intimate partner is understood as a former or current spouse or partner, whether or not the perpetrator shares or has shared the same residence with the victim.
Additional notes and information
Source: United Nations (2012). Vienna Declaration on Femicide.
European Institute for Gender Equality (2017). Glossary of definitions of rape, femicide and intimate partner violence. See a list of Member State definitions here.