Under the European Commission’s Instrument of Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA), EIGE works with EU candidate countries: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia, Türkiye and potential candidate: Kosovo*.
EIGE supports the Western Balkans and Türkiye in their European path to improve gender equality policies and to better monitor gender equality progress.
IPA project activities include:
- Coordination of Regional Platform for Gender Equality Action in the Western Balkans and Türkiye, peer-learning and exchange of knowledge;
- Support in the development of the national Gender Equality Indices (already five EU candidate countries developed and published their Indices).
- Data collection on women and men in decision-making positions in the region of Western Balkans and Türkiye as part of EIGE’s Gender Statistics Database;
- Sharing EIGE’s knowledge, methods and tools on gender mainstreaming;
- Support in the development of the first composite indicators for measuring violence against women;
- Promoting gender-sensitive language (EIGE Gender Equality Glossary and Thesaurus has been translated into four languages of the region);
- Sharing examples of gender equality projects and initiatives in the region;
The IPA project is funded by the Directorate-General for Neighbourhood and Enlargement Negotiations (DG NEAR).
More about EIGE’s cooperation with EU candidate countries and potential candidates
IPA Project Manager
*This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo Declaration of Independence.