Glossary & Thesaurus - About
EIGE’s Gender Equality Glossary and Thesaurus is a specialised terminology tool focusing on the area of gender equality. It aims to foster a common understanding of gender equality terms across the EU and promote gender-fair and inclusive language to improve equality between women and men.
The Gender Equality Glossary and Thesaurus has been developed in cooperation with key stakeholders: European Commission, European Parliament and Council of Europe, as well as national machineries, academia and partners of EIGE’s Resource and Documentation Centre. The collection of terms was based on 92 sources from the European Union, Council of Europe and United Nations normative and policy documents, studies, reports and scientific articles.
The glossary contains over 400 terms in English with their definitions and sources. In the future, it will be linked with EuroVoc, the multi-lingual EU-wide thesaurus, and it will be available in all EU languages.
With EIGE’s Gender Equality Glossary and Thesaurus you can:
- find comprehensive and detailed definitions of specific terms for your policy, advocacy or research work
- find a detailed list of sources and links to the reference or background documents
- compare similar or confusing terms and discover the differences between them
- better understand new terminology in the area of gender equality
- tag literary resources in indexing or cataloguing work
- discover which gender equality terms are related (in a broad and narrow sense)
- discover which terms are preferred or outdated and why
- download the entire glossary as well as its parts − domains, sub-domains and even the specific concepts.
How to search for terms?
- Use the alphabetical search option ‘A-Z’ index.
- Browse through the domains and microthesauri.
- Perform a free search by typing in the word or phrase you are looking for in the ‘search’ box.
The glossary and thesaurus will be regularly revised and updated. We very much welcome your feedback, which will help us further develop the product. If you would like to provide feedback, you can fill-in the ‘help us improve’ form or ‘propose corrections’ through the form available in all concept pages.
Catalogue number (Publications Office): MH-AC-16-001-D5-I
More glossaries, thesauri and taxonomies
- Gender equality glossary by the Council of Europe
- Women's thesaurus by Atria
- Gender and science taxonomy by GenPORT
- The EU's multilingual thesaurus by EuroVoc
- Subject headings by KvinnSam, Gothenburg University
- Collection of gender-related glossaries in EIGE's Resource & Documentation Centre catalogue