EIGE’s Gender Equality Glossary and Thesaurus is a specialised terminology tool focusing on the area of gender equality. It aims to foster a common understanding of gender equality terms across the EU and promote gender-fair and inclusive language to improve equality between women and men.
The Gender Equality Glossary and Thesaurus has been developed in cooperation with key stakeholders: European Commission, European Parliament and Council of Europe, as well as national machineries, academia and partners of EIGE’s Resource and Documentation Centre. The collection of terms was based on 92 sources from the European Union, Council of Europe and United Nations normative and policy documents, studies, reports and scientific articles.
The glossary contains over 400 terms in English with their definitions and sources.
Under the Instrument of Pre-Accession (IPA) funded by the European Commission, EIGE has adapted the Glossary and Thesaurus to four languages of EU candidate countries and potential candidates. The terms are available in Albanian, Bosnian, Macedonian and Serbian languages.
With EIGE’s Gender Equality Glossary and Thesaurus you can:
- find comprehensive and detailed definitions of specific terms for your policy, advocacy or research work
- find a detailed list of sources and links to the reference or background documents
- compare similar or confusing terms and discover the differences between them
- better understand new terminology in the area of gender equality
- tag literary resources in indexing or cataloguing work
- discover which gender equality terms are related (in a broad and narrow sense)
- discover which terms are preferred or outdated and why
- download the entire glossary as well as its parts − domains, sub-domains and even the specific concepts.
The concepts and definitions found in this glossary were published in 2016, and some may be out-of-date. EIGE is currently looking into which terms may need to be updated in the future.
How to search for terms?
- Use the alphabetical search option ‘A-Z’ index.
- Browse through the domains and microthesauri.
- Perform a free search by typing in the word or phrase you are looking for in the ‘search’ box.
We very much welcome your feedback, which will help us further develop the product. If you would like to provide feedback, you can fill-in the ‘help us improve’ form or ‘propose corrections’ through the form available in all concept pages.
Catalogue number (Publications Office): MH-AC-16-001-D5-I