Educational programmes for police
There are different programmes for different types of attendees.
• Programmes for vocation retraining for police officers – the issue of domestic violence was included in different subjects thoughts inside the programme (9 hours in misdemeanour law; 3 hours in criminal law, 5 hours in psychology plus 8 hours in practical seminars) from 2007 to 2010.
• The issue of domestic violence was included in different subjects (22 hours) in education of students for police officers from the school year 2011/2012.
• The basic educational programme for police officers in police stations: 26 five-day seminars (40 hours per seminar) for 775 persons from 2007. Education covers social and legal aspects of domestic violence; police intervention in cases of domestic violence; cooperation among stakeholders)
• Advanced course on juvenile delinquency and crime in the field of family and youth: 10 ten-days courses for 274 police officers from 2000 (but no courses in 2010 and 2011). Domestic violence was included in about 20% of the whole programme.
• Course for education of different stakeholders in cases of domestic violence called “We can do together”. Stakeholders included were: police officers, judges, prosecutors, social, workers, physicians, local administration officers, NGOs representatives, etc. There were three 3-days courses for 92 participants in 2011.
• Course on psycho-social treatment of perpetrators: 2 one-day courses for 34 persons in 2012.
• Additional courses for police officers: the programme started in 2003 but the issue on domestic violence was included in 2009 for 4 hours, and from 2011 for 10 hours in the special module on domestic violence
Aims and objectives
To educate members of police forces. Education is for those who already work and for those enrolled in basic program for police education.
Results and impact
In recent years more and more police officers has been included in programmes which pay attention to domestic violence. As from this school year (2011/2012) the issue has been included in programmes for students of police school or police officers will have in future a knowledge about domestic violence
POLICIJSKA AKADEMIJA (Police School of Vocational Higher Education)