Step 1: Definition of policy purpose
The first step is to define the purpose of the planned policy, law or programme and show how it connects with gender equality. The following questions could be asked:
Crucially, this should include a focus on how the intervention relates to gender equality.
The following questions are some examples that could help during the analysis:
- What social issue is being addressed by this policy/legislative intervention?
- Why is this intervention being considered for this particular situation?
- Is the intervention intended to contribute to gender equality?
- How is the intervention intended to contribute to gender equality?
- What are the existing gender equality objectives in this field?