Activity of Sandy Ruxton
Aims and objectives
Men and masculinities: Work on this theme has developed from a concern with practice issues around men and caring to encompass a range of policy-related issues: men and work; men and fatherhood; men and health; boys and education; and men and violence. Draws on a feminist/pro-feminist theoretical framework, and focuses also on intersectionality.
Stakeholder: Media; National machinery for gender equality; University; Freelance journalist; Civil society organisation; Ministry; European Parliament; Government; Other media; Private company; Individual Expert; International Organisation; Research Institute
Area of intervention: Economy; Poverty; Faith/Religion; Girl child; Health; Sexual and Reproductive health; Education & Training; Gender Statistics; Human rights; Power and decision making; Women and armed conflict; Gender budgeting; Institutional mechanisms; Ethnic minorities; Methods and Tools; Homlessness; Entrepreneurship; Gender Stereotypes; Media; Fatherhood/caregiving; Violence; Beijing Platform for Action; Men and gender equality; Unemployment; Environment; Gender Mainstreaming; Disability; LGBT
Name: Sandy Ruxton
Country: United Kingdom
Phone: +44(0)1865 432647
Recent work includes:
• Co-coordinator of study for the European Institute for Gender Equality on men’s involvement in gender equality in the EU27 (with N. van der Gaag)
• Author of report for Coalition on Men and Boys on masculinities and public policy
• Co-author of report for Oxfam and the European Women's Lobby on the impact of recession on women in Europe
• Developing a health guide for the Men’s Health Forum, with prisoners in Risley and Thorn Cross prisons
Speaker at expert conference on gender equality and men under the Finnish EU Presidency (published in Varanka J. et al  Men and Gender Equality: Towards Progressive Policies, Helsinki: Ministry of Social Affairs and Health).
- Ruxton S. (2010) First Time: A guide for prisoners by prisoners, Men's Health Forum/Risley Prison/Thorn Cross YOI
- Ruxton S., Pietruchova O. (2010) An Invisible Crisis?: Women’s poverty and social exclusion in the European Union at a time of crisis, Oxfam/European Women’s Lobby, www.oxfam.org.uk/resources/policy/economic_crisis/downloads/rr_gec_an_in...
- Ruxton, S. (2009) Man Made: Men, masculinities and equality in public policy, Coalition on Men and Boys, www.comab.org.uk
- Ruxton S. (2007) Working With Older Men, Age Concern, www.menshealthforum.org.uk/files/images/AgeConcernoldermenservices.pdf