Activity of Män för Jämställdhet (in English: Men for Gender Equality)
Aims and objectives
Män för Jämställdhet is a national civil society NGO working to engage men and boys in gender equality and the prevention of violence. The vision of the organisation is a gender equal society with no violence. It is organised as an association with individual membership for both women and men. The association has about 400 members, and as of June 2010, 11 employees at its national office. Män för Jämställdhet promotes a holistic approach to men and masculinities encompassing men's privilege and power positions, men's vulnerabilities and the diversities among men, all of which exist in a gender unequal society. Män för Jämställdhet collaborates closely with several organisations in the women's movement.
Name: Män för Jämställdhet (in English: Men for Gender Equality)
Stakeholder: Civil society organisation
Area of intervention: Men and gender equality
Organisation Country: Sweden
Organisation Zip Code: 111 52
Organisation Phone: 46 (0)8 17 82 00
- Advocacy work on gender equality policy focusing on transforming men and masculinities
- Training services on the topic of men, masculinities and gender equality for municipalities, schools, organisations, workplaces, the fire service, the military, etc.
- Technical assistance for boys' support groups
- Yearly campaigns on violence against women
- Educational support groups for fathers-to-be
- Educational support groups for boys
- Killfragor.se (in English: BoysQuestions.com) - a web-based service for boys between 10 and 18 years old. A hotline service using chat and e-mail where boys communicate with adults trained in masculinities and gender equality: http://www.killfragor.se.
- Machofabriken (in English: The Macho Factory) - a film-based group educational resource for young men and women on social norms of masculinities and gender equality: www.machofabriken.se
- Freedom from violence - a project developing a primary/universal prevention programme on gender-based violence, employing gender perspectives working with young men and boys
- Networking with other organisations in the field, in part through the MenEngage Alliance (steering committee member, coordinator of MenEngage Europe)
(2009) MenEngage Europe Consultation Meeting, Stockholm
- (2009) Training Manual for Killfrågor.se, Män för Jämställdhet, Stockholm
- (2010) Machofabriken, Liber, Stockholm (a film-based educational material for schools on masculinities and violence, owned by Män för Jämställdhet & the two Swedish national women's shelter organistions SKR and Roks (www.machofabriken.se)
- (2010) Working report: Review of the Swedish Political parties policies for preventing violence, Män för Jämställdhet, Stockholm
- (2011) Manual for Leaders of Father Support Groups, Män för Jämställdhet, Göteborg