Activity of University of Bialystok
Aims and objectives
Gender studies, critical men's studies. My lectures and workshops present the main problems connected to equality between men and women in contemporary culture, especially in Polish culture. My research on contemporary masculinity in Poland is also linked to gender equality both in the public and private spheres of life. In the work, I focus on new male models, such as a male childcarer, a sensitive partner, a child's partner, an attentive friend, etc. My analyses concern the changes in the patterns of masculinity which have recently been presented in the media and in research.
Name: University of Bialystok
Area of intervention: Men and gender equality
Organisation Country: Poland
Organisation Zip Code: 15-420
Organisation Phone: (085) 745-71-04
Name: Krzysztof Arcimowicz
- Teaching the contemporary theory of gender and masculinity.
- Presenting negative aspects of traditional man's patterns (e.g. a distant breadwinner, a tough man, etc.).
- Showing the positive aspects of new patterns of masculinity (e.g. a male childcarer, a sensitive partner).
- Developing gender sensitivity among students.
- 2011 "New images of men on Polish television" in: "Carousel with men. Masculinities' issues in Polish social research", Ed.K.Wojnicka, E. Ciaputa, Oficyna Wydawnicza Impuls, Kraków (Translation into English)
- 2008 "Changes in fathers' images in Western culture" in: "Stereotypes and masculinities' categories in different cultures", Ed.B. Płonka-Syroka, Wydawnictwo DiG, Warszawa (Translation into English)
- 2008 "Image of a father in the Polish media at the threshold of the 21st century" in: "The new men? Evolving models of masculinity in contemporary Poland", Ed.M. Fuszara, Wydawnictwo Trio, Warszawa (Translation into English)