Activity of The Fatherhood Institute
Aims and objectives
Collates and publishes international research on fathers, fatherhood and different approaches to engaging with fathers by public services and employers; helps shape national and local policies to ensure a father-inclusive approach to family policy; inject research evidence on fathers and fatherhood into national debates about parenting and parental roles; lobby for changes in law, policy and practice to dismantle barriers to fathers' care of infants and children; are the UK's leading provider of training, consultancy and publications on father-inclusive practice, for public and third sector agencies and employers.
Name: The Fatherhood Institute
Stakeholder: Civil society organisation
Area of intervention: Men and gender equality
Organisation Country: United Kingdom
Organisation City: Marlborough
Unit 1, Warren Courtyard, Savernake, Marlborough, Wiltshire
Organisation Zip Code: SN8 3UU
Organisation Phone: 8456341328
Name: Adrienne Burgess
Recent activities include:
- Parental leave: We are campaigning hard for a better parental leave system that gives parents greater choice over the sharing of earning and caring responsibilities.
- Fathers and the Coalition Government: In the run-up to the general election in May 2010, we set out Six Signposts for Fatherhood and we continue to brief leading Coalition politicians about fatherhood and family policy.
- Father-inclusive training: Every year we train hundreds of managers and staff in children's centres, schools, nurseries and preschools, on how to engage with fathers and support father-child relationships in all the work they do.
- Hit the Ground Crawling: Family workers and health visitors in children's centres and maternity services across England are learning how to deliver our groundbreaking peer mentoring programme for new and expectant dads.
- Consultancy: We provide a mixture of consultancy and training to local authorities and clusters of family services - including everything from 'father-proofing' of strategies and mystery shopping exercises to staff training and supervision and direct work with dads.
- The Think Fathers campaign and Dad Test: Think Fathers is a campaign aimed at transforming children's, family and health services, so that they systematically engage with fathers and support father-child relationships.
- Our new online self-assessment tool, the Dad Test, helps family services managers and workers identify how they could make their services more inclusive of fathers, and create an action plan to make change happen.
Regular programme of events at http://www.fatherhoodinstitute.org/fi-events/
- Wide range of reports, toolkits, photopacks, posters, dad cards, available at: http://www.fatherhoodinstitute.org/products-page/.
- Key European report on Fairness in Families Index at http://www.fatherhoodinstitute.org/2010/uk-lags-behind-in-new-family-fairness-league-table/