Activity of Il Cerchio degli Uomini, Turin
Aims and objectives
In December 2004, the Association 'Circle of Men' was formed, with the aim of promoting the development of communication between men, promoting awareness-raising among men, encouraging more healthy and equal sharing with women, and contributing to the transition to a post-patriarchal society. The tools and methods used are: peer group sharing, training seminars, conferences, speeches and support services to people experiencing difficulties in various areas such as violence, self-esteem, body image, parent-child relationships, couples and relationships in the workplace and society in general.
Name: Il Cerchio degli Uomini, Turin
Stakeholder: Civil society organisation
Area of intervention: Men and gender equality
Organisation Country: Italy
Organisation Phone: 348 733 25 22; 347 310 70 96; 347 446 54 03
- Group meetings in Turin: - four men's groups meet weekly or fortnightly - two groups for sharing between men and women, once a month. - a couples' group. - a group for gay and straight men.
- Fathers' meetings: - For men focused on the issues of being fathers, in collaboration with women's groups working with new mothers. In Turin we work with the association 'The Stork'. - meetings with men who are about to become fathers.
- Meetings with women: - Discussions with women are central in finding new ways for men and women to relate and interact, and to develop respect for differences and mutual understanding. (in collaboration with women's groups)
- Meetings in therapeutic communities: Monthly meetings between 'the circle of men' and members of a therapeutic community for recovering drug addicts 'Nicodemus' Nichelino (To).
- Meetings in secondary school Interactive meetings with boys and girls in secondary school to prevent bullying and violence, and affirm a culture of respect for differences.
The project is implemented along the lines of the international campaign 'The White Ribbon' violence against women and against all forms of violence.