Activity of Cassero - gay/lesbian center
Aims and objectives
Aims are to fight for homosexual people's rights, to promote equality and to work in the field of inclusion for LBGTQ people. Centre promotes an alternative approach to understanding gender identity, through workshops and activities, to break down stereotypical views in society of gay men and lesbian women as embodying a 'wrong' way to be male and female. In particular the Comitato Provinciale Arcigay "Il Cassero" School Project's objective is to work with young people and help them understand the importance of equality and inclusion thanks to activities and lessons that are more suitable for this kind of audience.
- Health and Wellbeing: develops and implements plans of action aimed at improving the living conditions of homosexual people, with specific attention to the prevention of STDs, especially HIV/AIDS.
- Culture: develops and carries out cultural projects on topics related to gender identity and sexual orientation.
- Library and archive: advisory services and lending of materials contained in the Documentation Centre.
- Art: develops and produces art exhibitions and activities for social gatherings and entertainment and gives thanks to businesses, economic support association.
- Policy: develops strategies and responses at local and national levels.
- Legal: Since 2005, deals with the protection and promotion of minority rights, in particular LGBT, providing support and technical assistance to all those who need it.
- Communication: ensure that activities, services and content of the project reach a wide audience
Name: Cassero - gay/lesbian center
Stakeholder: Civil society organisation
Area of intervention: Men and gender equality
Organisation Country: Italy
Organisation City: Bologna
Via Don Minzoni, 18
Organisation Zip Code: 40121
Organisation Phone: +39 0510957200
Name: Valeria Roberti
Main activities in recent years: one is the establishment of the website www.casserosalute.it, set up first for HIV+ gay men and updated with a specific section for lesbian women; the other is the setting up of a new workshop for schools on gender identity and gender equality. It is called "Insieme agli altri" and aims to provide tools for deconstructing representations of various gender identities, using non-formal methods, and examples from real life and films.