Activity of Parental Equality for the Child (Γονεϊκή Ισότητα για το Παιδί)
Aims and objectives
The organisation was set up in 2006 in order to promote parental equality in the raising of children, independently of the family situation (married or separated/divorced, cohabiting or non-cohabiting parents). In particular, it promotes joint parental responsibility and care of children during cohabitation, but also after cohabitation is terminated. Due to the fact that in Greece, in the majority of cases, mothers are usually granted parental responsibility after the separation of parents, in practice it promotes father's participation in the raising of children. However, the organisation promotes equal rights between fathers and mothers.
Name: Parental Equality for the Child (Γονεϊκή Ισότητα για το Παιδί)
Stakeholder: Civil society organisation
Area of intervention: Men and gender equality
Organisation Country: Greece
Organisation Zip Code: 10564
Organisation Phone: 0030 210 3251850
Name: Ioannis Paparigopoulos
- The preparation of a draft agreement on "common parental responsibility" for parents to sign after separation
- The formulation of a proposal for changes to the existing Family Law
- The submission of proposals/reports to various government departments (i.e. to the Department of Education for the involvement of the parent that does not have parental responsibility), independent bodies and international agencies (UN, European Ombudsman, European Parliament)
- A survey of court decisions with regard to the granting of parental authority-custody (2009).
- The organisation in 2010 of a conference in Athens "Care for children in separation and divorce cases"
- The organisation in 2009 of a conference in Athens "Beyond gender: Matters of equality of parents in the raising of children" as well as an activity on "Parental Alienation"
The setting up of a website with an important bulk of information about the issues related to the objectives of the organization and in particular about "common parental responsibility". The website also gives a forum for the expression of views.