Activity of Dissens e.V.
Aims and objectives
Dissens e.V. is a non-profit NGO with advisory, education and research services. The association was founded in 1990 and has 18 employees today. The main aims of the organisation are to foster gender equality, to reduce gender hierarchies on personal and structural levels and to help prevent gender-related violence. All work is done with a focus on men and masculinities. The activities are based on the assumption that an increase in gender equality and social justice, and a lower prevalence of gender-based violence will foster a better quality of life for women and also for men. These goals are particularly pursued through activities in youth services, community work, educational work, and scientific work with a special focus on European networking and cooperation:
- The research & development department of Dissens acts at a national and European level with a special focus on theory-praxis-transfer. Since 2000, the department participates in and/or coordinates continuously European projects or networks, mostly in the research programmes, in Daphne, LifeLongLearning, Leonardo, and Grundtvig. The department is organised into thematical sections which focus on core elements of gender hierarchies and patriarchal structures, the division of work and life in a private female and public male sphere, the problems of (gender) education, and gender-based violence and oppression. One starting point for change is the education and socialisation of young people.
- The "gender & violence" section carries out projects on the prevention of domestic and youth violence, but also about prevalence. Most projects focus on violent men and violence against women, but Dissens also carried out projects about violence against men with a focus on men-to-men-violence as a special form of gender-related violence. Recently, resilience and protective factors have become new and interesting topics as well as the development of an intersectional perspective in the field of peer violence prevention.
- The "gender & education" section combines research and further qualification projects, which foster gender equality, gender justice and de-gendering in early childhood centres, schools, sports and leisure time of young people.
- The "gender & work" section aims to foster a work-life balance, caring for men, active fatherhood and gender equal distribution of paid and of non-paid work for couples.
Name: Dissens e.V.
Stakeholder: Research Institute
Area of intervention: Education & Training; Methods and Tools; Violence; Men and gender equality; Gender Mainstreaming
Organisation Country: Germany
Organisation City: Berlin
Allee der Kosmonauten 67
Organisation Zip Code: 12681
Organisation Phone: +49 3054987530
International Projects coordinated by Dissens:
- IGIV - Implementation Guidelines for intersectional peer violence prevention in five countries www.intersect-violence.eu (2010-12)
- WWP - Work with Perpetrators of Domestic Violence in Europe www.work-with-perpetrators.eu (2006-08)
- Peerthink - www.peerthink.eu (2007-09)
- Gender Loops - www.genderloops.eu (2006-08)
National projects conducted or led by Dissens:
- New Paths for Boys - Research and evaluation on the current federal project „Neue Wege für Jungs", www.neue-wege-fuer-jungs.de (2009-10)
- Boys work & schools/Jungenarbeit und Schulen, www.jungenarbeit-und-schule.de
International projects with Dissens:
- STAMINA - Formation of non-violent behaviour in school and leisure time among youths from violent families www.stamina-project.eu (2009 - 11)
- GemTrEx -Professionalising Gender Trainers & Experts in Adult Education, www.gemtrex.eu (2006-08)
- FOCUS - Fostering Caring Masculinities, (http://www.dissens.de/de/dokumente/focus-european-dimension-report.pdf), (2005-07)
- CAHRV: Co-ordination Action on Human Rights Violations (2004-07) www.cahrv.uni-osnabrueck.de