Activity of Gender Studies, Faculty of Social Studies, Masaryk University in Brno
Aims and objectives
Gender studies engaged in an analysis of how structures and processes are involved in the organisation of social relations between women and men, and femininity/ies and masculinity/ies at an individual level. Gender studies at the Faculty of Social Studies is anchored in sociology and complemented with information from other social sciences and humanities. In particular, Iva Smidova's research focuses on men and masculinity/ies - not only on hegemonic masculinity/ies, but also partner relationships in the family, and gender and the sociology of the family in general.
Name: Gender Studies, Faculty of Social Studies, Masaryk University in Brno
Area of intervention: Men and gender equality
Organisation Country: Czech Republic
Organisation City: Brno
Organisation Zip Code: 602 00
Organisation Phone: +420 549493750
Name: Iva Šmídová
Courses: gender structure of society, men/masculinity and gender, and elective courses (e.g. gendered labour)
Gender confrontation IV. Men at risk? FSS MU, Brno, 2008
- Šmídová, I. (2009) 'Changing Masculinities? Beyond Environment And Child Friendly Men' in Intimate Citizenships: Gender, Subjectivity, Politics. Vyd.1, New York, London: Routledge, Routledge Research in Gender and Society, ISBN 978-0-415-99076-9, pp. 193-206. 193-206.
- Šmídová, Iva (2008) Active fathers, in Active Fatherhood. Vyd. 1., London: Association Brno, 2008. ISBN 978-80-903228-9-1, pp. 8-17
- Šmídová, I. (2008) Men on the Edge: System Disadvantaged Young Men without a diploma?. Gender, Equal Opportunities, Research, Prague, Institute of Sociology. ISSN 1213-0028, 2008, vol. 9, no. ISSN 1213-0028, 2008, vol 9, no. 2
- Šmídová, I. (2008) Fatherhood at birth: Re-construction of gender relations in the family, Brno, Faculty of Social Studies, ISSN 1214-813X, vol 5, no. 1.
- Smetáčková I., Jarkovská, L. (2007) 'Girls and Boys in Groups' in Manual for gender-sensitive educational counselling , Open Society, Praha, ISBN 978-80-87110-00-3
- Valentová M. et al. (2007) Gender Segregation in the Labour Market in the Context of Educational Segregation: Cross-National Comparison, in Slovak Sociological Review, Volume 39/3.
- Jarkovská L. (2010) 'Why Do They Still Try to Persuade Us that Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus)', in Preparation for Globalisation, A & M Publishing, Olomouc , ISBN 978-80-903654-2-1