Activity of Accept - LGBT Cyprus
Aims and objectives
The protection, assertion and promotion of the rights and interests of the LGBT community and combating prejudices, stereotypes, stigma and social exclusion. Raising awareness and informing the community itself as well as the general public, families, organised or unorganised institutions and society in general in matters of sexuality, gender identity, sexual orientation and sexual health.
To achieve its goals, Accept is doing the following:
- Monthly experiential discussions on sexuality, gender etc.
- Seminars, conferences, workshops.
- Film screenings.
- Photo exhibitions
- Lobbying and networing activities
- Media activities (such as press conferences, articles, TV & radio appearances e.tc)
Name: Accept - LGBT Cyprus
Stakeholder: Civil society organisation
Area of intervention: Sexual and Reproductive health; Gender Stereotypes; Men and gender equality; LGBT
Organisation Country: Cyprus
Organisation City: Nicosia
NGO Support Centre, 27 Ezekia Papaioannou
Organisation Zip Code: 1075
Name: Despina Michaelidou
- April 2010, Workshop on gender and sexuality.
- 17th May 2010, International Day Against Homophobia, Lecture and discussion about the construction of male identity and sexuality in Cyprus.
- December 2010, Solidarity and Networking conference between LGBT organisations in Cyprus, Malta and Turkey with support from ILGA - Europe. The conference involved discussions on gender and sexuality.
- February 2011, Workshop on gender with an emphasis on men and masculinities.
- April 2011, Focus group on the construction of male identity and sexuality and experiences in the army.
- April 2011, Info day on the presentation of research findings: Sexual orientation in Cyprus: Mapping the socio-political climate, experiences and needs with the support of ILGA - Europe and the Cyprus Youth Board.
See Activities 2007-2010