Activity of KMBÖ, The Catholic men's movement Austria
Aims and objectives
KMBÖ is part of Catholic Action, the lay movement of the Catholic Church in Austria. It offers a space for men to meet, and support in various day-to-day situations. KMBÖ aims to assist men and contribute to the development of an active men's ministry. This approach includes not only the religious sphere, but also the everyday life of men at work, during family and leisure time and the active participation of society in the spirit of the Gospel.
The tasks include:
- developing an annual special focus;
- organisation of national events on masculinity;
- thematic work in national working groups on the subject of men and faith, society and social issues, men's work and policy and development;
- information, media and public relations on current political events and discussions relating to men's development.
Name: KMBÖ, The Catholic men's movement Austria
Stakeholder: Civil society organisation
Area of intervention: Men and gender equality
Organisation Country: Austria
Organisation Zip Code: 1010
Organisation Phone: 43 (01) 51 552-3666
Name: Christian Reichart
Each year, there are some set KMBÖ projects which address an overall general theme (in 2011, 'Democracy or Dictatorship'):
- International Men's Day (in November) an occasion for a variety of events and publications in Austria.
- Summer Academy - for men's to address issues around masculinity.
- Study days - well-known speakers on particular aspects of each theme.
- Activities related to men's studies.