Activity of Stonewall
Aims and objectives
As the UK's leading lesbian, gay and bisexual charity we aim to promote and protect the rights of gay and bisexual men. Activities include: policy development (carrying out research, publishing briefings and working with government, trade unions, business, NGOs and policy institutions to develop ideas and policy that remove discrimination and improve the lives of lesbians, gay men and bisexual people); cultural and attitudinal change (challenging the underlying cultural and attitudinal values that allow discrimination to flourish. Changing cultures and attitudes to positively value diversity); lobbying for legal change (campaigning to ensure that legislation is non-discriminatory and that the diversity and value of LGB life is appropriately recognised in our own laws); and providing information.
Stakeholder: Civil society organisation
Area of intervention: Men and gender equality; LGBT
Organisation Country: United Kingdom
Organisation City: London
Tower Building, York Road
Organisation Zip Code: SE1 7NX
Organisation Phone: 2075931850
Name: Ben Summerskill
- Education: Challenging homophobia in schools, colleges and universities and underachievement by lesbian, gay and bisexual pupils through development of the Education for All programme. Raising standards through local government, the teaching profession and young volunteers.
- Workplace: Promoting fair treatment at work. Further growing our Diversity Champions programme and also working with other employers and staff. Promoting pension equality. Continuing review of the business case for equality. Promoting ethical consumerism in support of equality.
- Equality at home. Putting equality into practice by promoting fair treatment of LGB people in the public domain such as the NHS, the policing and justice system, housing, the care system, children's services and sport and political representation.
- Equal legal treatment. Securing equal legal treatment in areas where it doesn't already exist such as extension of the legal form of marriage to same-sex couples. Influencing the development of public policy in areas such as blood donation, asylum, the workplace and faith-sanctioned discrimination.
- Media. Promoting fair and representative coverage in the print and broadcast media. Pro-actively engage broadcasters to promote realistic representation of LGB people. Develop more 'non-crisis intervention' by Stonewall in the media. Encourage LGB people to engage with newspapers and broadcasters.
- All downloadable at http://www.stonewall.org.uk/what_we_do/2583.asp
- Stonewall Top 100 Employers 2011: The latest ranking for the most gay-friendly employers in the UK
- Guide for Gay Dads: A guide for gay men wanting to start a family (2010)
- Blow the whistle on gay hate: A plain English guide on gay hate crime for lesbian, gay and bisexual people (2010)
- The Housing Guide: An introduction to housing rights for lesbian, gay and bisexual people (2010)
- Hate crimes and hate incidents (2009)
- Leagues behind: Football's failure to tackle anti-gay abuse (2009)
- Teachers' Report (2009)
- Homophobic hate crime: The Gay British Crime Survey (2008)
- Serves you right: Lesbian and gay people's expectations of discrimination (2008)
- Love Thy Neighbour: What people of faith really think of homosexuality (2008)
- Peak Performance: Gay people and productivity (2008)
- Living Together: British attitudes towards lesbian and gay people (2007)
- School Report: The experiences of young gay people in Britain's schools (2007)