Activity of Sveriges Kommuner och Landsting (Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions) - Program för Hållbar jämställdhet (Program for Sustainable Gender Equality)
Aims and objectives
The Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions represents the governmental, professional and employer-related interests of Sweden's 290 municipalities and 20 county councils.
Name: Sveriges Kommuner och Landsting (Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions) - Program för Hållbar jämställdhet (Program for Sustainable Gender Equality)
Stakeholder: Regional/Local Organisation
Area of intervention: Men and gender equality
Organisation Country: Sweden
Organisation Zip Code: SE-118 82
Organisation Phone: 46 8 452 70 00
SKL is running a multi-year gender mainstreaming programme financed by the national government. Regional and local municipalities can seek funding for gender mainstreaming projects with the goal of developing quality public services by applying gender perspectives.
Some examples that involve men and boys are
- changing gendered structures for the billing of municipal services in such ways that - in the case that women and men form a household
- for instance, child care bills are not strictly sent to women and garbage service bills are not strictly sent to men.
- projects at hospitals making sure that premises at birth centres allow also fathers to stay at the hospital, etc.
- developing an understanding of how traditional masculinity norms affect teaching methods in ways that hinder the development of boys' reading skills
- developing public transportation services at night to increase security for women and girls, which in turn leads to quality enhancements in terms of increased security for men and boys too
- developing an understanding of why dental health for boys is poorer than for girls and why dental health measures differ for these two groups