Activity of Programa de Hombres por la Igualdad. Jerez de la Frontera (Men and Gender Equality Program).
Aims and objectives
First Public Programme on men and gender equality in Spain. This programme works at a local level (City of Jerez de la Frontera, Andalucia). Founded in 1999. We are involved in promoting egalitarian attitudes among local men. Our overall objective is: To encourage people in our city to carry out a self-critical reflection against sexism, proposing the adoption of egalitarian attitudes, fair and healthy male attitudes in their relationships with men and women.
Name: Programa de Hombres por la Igualdad. Jerez de la Frontera (Men and Gender Equality Program).
Stakeholder: Regional/Local Organisation
Area of intervention: Men and gender equality
Organisation Country: Spain
Organisation Zip Code: 11404
Organisation Phone: (0034) 956149946 956
Name: Daniel Antonio Leal González
Our specific objectives are:
- preventing male violence against women and men, reformulating male identity, egalitarian attitudes, eradicating sexism, encouraging and promoting opportunities for men with egalitarian concerns to meet, promoting anti-sexist men's groups and egalitarian social debate on the equal role that men have to take in building a society of full equality between men and women, providing information materials, research, and educational resources on equality between men and women.
- Public campaigns, awareness raising (men and gender equality, men against male violence; paternity)
- Children and young people's gender and masculinities awareness raising (in schools and at leisure centres)
- Promotion of men's groups Research (men and work-life balance; masculinities and education)Equality Father's Day campaign (9 sessions -19 March).
- Drawing competition and storytelling in schools in Jerez.
- Reflections Spaces for fathers and children. Awareness-raising workshops on gender, masculinities and equality in schools.
- "Aprendiendo a salir del sombrero" Programme for children who have experienced situations of violence against their mothers.
- White ribbon campaign against male violence against women.
- Regional Men and Equality Meeting (6 sessions). Themes: masculine identity; sexuality; care; work-life balance; violence ; co-education and masculinity; etc.
- National meeting about male condition, Jérez, 6-8 November 2008
- Dare if you are male, the Terra Equalitis tutorial, teaching units and Dare if you are male, several informative materials such as Check your machismo, etc ... All information is availabel at www.hombresigualdad.com . Delegación de igualdad y salud, Ayuntamiento de Jerez de la Frontera (2007).
- Unidad didáctica "Atrévete si eres hombre" y "No seas tan buena". (Gender methodologies for work with youngsters ) http://www.jerez.es/areas_tematicas/hombresxigualdad/que_ofrecemos/materiales_divulgativos_y_recursos_didacticos/u_didactica_atrevete_si_eres_hombre_y_no_seas_tan_buena/
- Man to man collection" (guides about men and equality; violence against women; men sexuality) http://www.jerez.es/areas_tematicas/hombresxigualdad/que_ofrecemos/materiales_divulgativos_y_recursos_didacticos/coleccion_de_hombre_a_hombre/