Activity of Hombres por la Igualdad de Aragón (Men and gender equality from Aragon)
Aims and objectives
- Encourage other men, to develop a model of masculinity different from what we have learned, that is not based on masculine strength, aggression and competitiveness and the suppression of feelings.
- Develop a model of masculinity that is positive, respectful, equal and freer to fight against all forms of discrimination based on sex.
- Public awareness raising and campaigns (male violence against women; new masculinities; men and gender equality)
Name: Hombres por la Igualdad de Aragón (Men and gender equality from Aragon)
Stakeholder: Civil society organisation
Area of intervention: Men and gender equality
Organisation Country: Spain
Organisation Zip Code: 50017
Organisation Phone: 34 976 31 31 99
Name: Jose Maria Galdó
We are positive about men, we believe we can change, we support efforts to achieve positive change. This means building relationships and partnerships to support us: to recognise our parenting and our many acts of compassion and nobility; to resist feeling hopeless about ourselves; and to disqualify, and reject the idea that men are intrinsically bad, oppressive or sexist. It also means recovering our feminine aspects: tenderness, concern for others, personal care, etc. We are completely against the homophobia that over the years has been growing in our western society. Men no longer have confidence in other men; this hatred towards homosexuals limits us all. Although the biggest losers have been gay people, the rest of us have suffered the consequences of uncontrolled fear in all sorts of understanding and closeness between men. We are committed to challenging oppression against women, sexism and gender discrimination.We understand the experiences of women and appreciate the analysis that different feminist groups make of society to change it. We try to develop forms of masculinity that are not macho and are non-oppressive, as well as fostering non-sexist relationships with women. We actively collaborate in giving visibility to the ways in which sexism against women and inequality can result in violence, positioning ourselves as men against them.
We carry out:
- Demonstrations against male violence against women (first Tuesday of each month)
- Demonstration against male violence against women (21 October)
- Gender equality workshops for men
National men and gender equality conference . Zaragoza, 6-7 November 2010