Activity of Istituto di Studi sulla Paternità-ISP (Institute for Fatherhood Studies)
Aims and objectives
Founded in 1988. Its purpose is "to promote the study of fatherhood with a particular emphasis on its psychological, pedagogical, social, biological, historical and juridical aspects". It also has as its objective "protecting and enhancing the value of paternal functions and roles in society, by encouraging a new social sensitivity in this area". The Institute, 30% of whose members are women, offers membership to anyone with an interest in the subject of fatherhood or, more generally, the subject of children, the family and parent-child relationships. The Institute, which has received two Culture Prizes from the Office of the Prime Minister for its activities in 1989 and 1991, has several hundred members, and operates at a national level.
Name: Istituto di Studi sulla Paternità-ISP (Institute for Fatherhood Studies)
Stakeholder: Civil society organisation
Area of intervention: Men and gender equality
Organisation Country: Italy
Organisation Zip Code: 00154
Organisation Phone: 0039 - 06 - 5139144
Name: Maurizio Quilici
- For over ten years the ISP has been organising courses for parents (eg. on changes of identity at the time of pregnancy and birth; changes in relationships of couples) with a particular focus on the role played by fatherhood. Two courses are run every year, with a meeting every four months: each course has approximately 15 people, more women than men.
- The ISP makes available to members: a specialist library that is being continually brought up to date, an archive comprising press clippings that are sub-divided by subject, a collection of university theses and specialised reviews, a series of single-subject files on subjects dealing with fatherhood, the family and minors. The Institute also offers the possibility of holding "technical" conferences, debates and screenings.
- Members have access to a list of lawyers and psychologists associated with the Institute.
- Members receive a subscription to "ISP Notizie", the Institute newsletter. In addition to keeping members informed of the Institute's activities, this publication provides a forum for articles by specialists on the subjects of fatherhood, the family and children, and provides information on new development in these fields, as well as in jurisprudence, psychology and current events. The ISP newsletter also includes special sections dealing with new books published, as well as new films of interest.
- Quilici M. (2009) La parte del padre, in De Filippis B., Bilotta F. (eds.), Amore Civile: Dal diritto della tradizione al diritto della ragione, Sesto S. Giovanni: Mimesis
- Quilici M. (2010) La Legge 54 vista dai padri, in De Filippis B., Landi L., Lettieri A.L., Lucariello S., Maurano R., Mazzei P., Mutalipassi A., Penna C., Pierro G., Quilici M., Sapia C., Affidamento dei figli nella separazione e nel divorzio, Padova: CEDAM
- Quilici M. (2010) Storia della paternità: Dal paterfamilias al mammo, Roma: Fazi