Activity of Men's Health Forum Ireland
Aims and objectives
The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) seeks to promote and enhance all aspects of the health and well-being of men and boys on the island of Ireland. MHFI is a diverse network of individuals and organisations, men and women, from both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. The Forum was established in 1999, and operates on an all-island basis. It currently has one self-employed temporary worker, but is primarily structured, organised and run using the expertise, contacts and enthusiasm of volunteers. The Forum believes that all men and boys have the right to:
- the best possible health;
- gender-specific information and education on how to keep themselves healthy;* equity of access to available, affordable and gender-sensitive services;
- have their issues recognised and properly addressed - in a way that is not at the expense of women's or children's health, but seen as beneficial to society as a whole;
- call for greater emphasis on a partnership approach in developing future strategies / initiatives on men's health (including consultation between policy-makers, healthcare providers, statutory and voluntary groups working on behalf of men, employers, and men themselves).
Name: Men's Health Forum Ireland
Stakeholder: Civil society organisation
Area of intervention: Men and gender equality
Organisation Country: Ireland
- To achieve its goals, MHFI seeks to raise awareness of all aspects of the health and well-being needs of men and boys in Ireland by providing information, commissioning and disseminating research, offering training programmes, piloting practical health initiatives, facilitating networks, and promoting debate on key issues with policy makers, service providers and the general public.
- MHFI has just begun a 17-month project which will look at developing strategies to improve the mental health of young men and reduce the young male suicide rate in Ireland.
MHFI celebrates Men's Health Week (MHW) each year. This always takes place during June, in the week before Father's Day. Each year, there is a specific focus / theme. See www.mhfi.org/international-mens-health-week.html for details.
- The vast majority of MHFI's materials are created electronically, and are available for free downloading at www.mhfi.org
- MHFI produces a monthly electronic newsletter which is disseminated to approximately 2,000 organisations and forwarded to about 8,000 other individuals. This is used as the primary mechanism to keep our 'members' informed of developments throughout Ireland. All recipients are invited to share their news through this publication.
- Most recent publication was a Men's Health Policy Briefing Paper for Northern Ireland. This will be launched before Summer 2011.