Activity of Neue Wege für Jungs - Bundesweites Netzwerk von Initiativen zur Berufswahl und Lebensplanung von Jungen, (New Paths for Boys - National network of initiatives on career choices and life planning for boys)
Aims and objectives
The main objective of the non-profit organisation Competence Centre for Technology-Diversity-Equal Chances is to actively help design Germany's path towards a information and knowledge-based society. Therefore, a wide range of initiatives and projects are developed aimed at using the potential of women and men to achieve equal opportunities in all spheres of society and work. The strategy of equal opportunities is based on the acceptance of the differences between people, their varied biographies, their ways of life and skills.
The organisation is active in three areas:
- Education, Training and Careers: In collaboration with partners from the spheres of economy and industry, society and politics we develop and organise projects and gender orientated career and life planning campaigns for girls and boys. Current projects: Girls Day - Future Prospects for Girls, New Paths for Boys / Boys Day - Future Prospects for Boys. Our Goal: To foster new ways of thinking about career orientation and life planning.
- Higher Education, Science and Research: We develop creative ideas and solutions to support the sustainability of the technical and natural science course of studies as well as to strengthen the professional chances of women in research.
- Digital Integration: We take the changes in quantitative and qualitative internet usage as a starting point for practical concepts and measures, in order to enable and improve participation in the information and knowledge society for all population groups.
Name: Neue Wege für Jungs - Bundesweites Netzwerk von Initiativen zur Berufswahl und Lebensplanung von Jungen, (New Paths for Boys - National network of initiatives on career choices and life planning for boys)
Stakeholder: Civil society organisation
Area of intervention: Men and gender equality
Organisation Country: Germany
Organisation Zip Code: 1033602
Organisation Phone: 49 521 106 - 73 60; 0049 (0) 521 106 7388
Name: Doro-Thea Chwalek
Since 2005, New Paths for Boys (Neue Wege für Jungs) inspires local initiatives based on the needs of boys during their transition from school to vocational life. Organisers receive assistance and can benefit from national networking and professional exchange. For the first time in 2011, Boys Day will take place nationwide on 14 April as a kind of campaign. Boys Day combines activities for boys regarding career and life planning.
The experiences offered for boys aim:
1. to enhance their range of occupational options by having a day-long experience in a female-dominated job in the field of education, social work, health and private care;
2. to show more flexible male role models and provide opportunities to reflect boys' views on masculinity and
3. to strengthen social skills by experiencing and working on soft skills.
With all activities, New Paths for Boys tries to influence the public discourse on women, men and especially young men through events, media work and by taking part in political processes (f.e. www.bundesforum-maenner.de), by offering cost-free educational information, tools and media for schools and social work and also by organising conferences in the thematic field of gender roles and research about boys and young men, networking, publications and website, research.
Nationwide Convention ''Teaching boys - How to do it" on 23/24 September 2010 - documentation is available online - "Challenges regarding boys - a dialogue for practice and theory of gender pedagogic". Organiser: New Paths for Boys in cooperation with the Department of Education at the University of Bielefeld. Further information at: www.fachkongress-jungenpaedagogik2010.de
- Website: 1. Students, parents and teachers are able to search for activities for the 14th of April 2011 on www.boys-day.de . 2. Information and material for those working with boys is available at www.neue-wege-fuer-jungs.de.
- The Boys'Day campaign material (eg. poster, flyer, info booklet for boys, supportive guides and check-lists for initiatives and projects are available at http://www.boys-day.de/Service/Downloadcenter.
- Further orders: http://www.neue-wege-fuer-jungs.de/Neue-Wege-fuer-Jungs/Materialbestellung
- Filmclips: http://www.boys-day.de/Ueber_den_Boys_Day/Boys_Day-Infofilmclips
- The movie ''Actually I wanted to become a football pro" is a teaching aid and is much liked and often ordered. http://www.neue-wege-fuer-jungs.de/Neue-Wege-fuer-Jungs/Service-Download/Didaktische-Medien
- The MediaSet and instructions for carrying out the household course can be downloaded at www.neue-wegefuer-jungs.de/Neue-Wege-fuer-Jungs/Service-Download. http://www.neue-wege-fuer-jungs.de/Neue-Wege-fuer-Jungs/Service-Download... http://www.neue-wege-fuer-jungs.de/Neue-Wege-fuer-Jungs/Service-Download/Haushaltsparcours; http://www.neue-wege-fuer-jungs.de/Neue-Wege-fuer-Jungs/Service-Download/Didaktische-Medien
- Good-Practise-Data-Base (more than 100 ideas for working with boys) http://www.neue-wege-fuer-jungs.de/Neue-Wege-fuer-Jungs/Service-Download/Gute-Beispiele
- Scientific monitoring: 1. Expertise "New paths for boys?! - A gender-sensitive view on the situation of boys during the transition school-career", Research Institute Dissens e.V. on behalf of BMFSFJ, www.bmfsfj.de 2. Trend survey "Vocational perspectives of boys and young men with low and medium qualification", Institute of German Economy Köln, www.neue-wege-fuer-jungs.de 3. Results of the pilot phase 2005-2007 ''How to create an active advancement of boys - New Paths for Boys starts network on career and life planning", volume of a series of the Competence Centre Technology-Diversity-Equal Chances e.V., www.kompetenzz.de.