Activity of Gender Education, Research and Technologies foundation (GERT)
Aims and objectives
GERT's mission is to initiate and implement, independently or in partnership with other NGOs, activities targeted at improving gender equality and social & gender justice in all spheres of social life, including access to and benefits of new technologies. The main aims of GERT are:
- to raise the awareness of the public at large of the need to combat gender stereotypes, which lead to inequality at all levels of society;
- to enhance tolerance in gender relationships and enable a conscious rejection of violence;
- to create better awareness of the public and specifically the younger generation on reproductive rights and health and international trends in this field, including the issues of HIV/AIDS;
- to raise the interest of NGOs and more specifically women's NGOs in using new ICT in social activities and practices.
Name: Gender Education, Research and Technologies foundation (GERT)
Stakeholder: Civil society organisation
Area of intervention: Men and gender equality
Organisation Country: Bulgaria
Organisation Zip Code: 1000
Organisation Phone: 359 2 988.78.55
Name: Jivka Marinova
GERT works mainly with students providing them with gender and anti-violence training. The main strategy therefore is gender-awareness raising, identifying and combating gender stereotypes. In the field of sexual and reproductive health and rights, GERT makes young men aware of respecting women's decisions and also cooperates with initiatives to make more men aware of taking advantage of paternal leave to take care of their new-born children.GERT has been working both with boys and girls, implementing a bullying prevention programme in secondary schools in 2009-2011.
- Mariya Gencheva and Jivka Marinova, Research on boys and violence: "Are boys born violent or the violence is a learned behavior?", 2007, in Bulgarian.