Activity of Instituut voor de gelijkheid van vrouwen en mannen /Institute pour l'egalite des femmes et des hommes (Institute for the equality of women and men)
Aims and objectives
The mission of the Institute is to guarantee and promote the equality of women and men and to fight against any form of discrimination and inequality based on gender in all aspects of life through the development and implementation of an adequate legal framework, appropriate structures, strategies, instruments and actions.The Institute develops projects in different areas: gender mainstreaming, decision making, gender-based violence, employment, etc. The Institute undertakes research, and offers legal assistance to victims of discrimination, both female and male.
Name: Instituut voor de gelijkheid van vrouwen en mannen /Institute pour l'egalite des femmes et des hommes (Institute for the equality of women and men)
Area of intervention: Men and gender equality
Organisation Country: Belgium
Organisation Zip Code: 1070
Organisation Phone: 02 233 40 38; 32 233 49 47
The main area in which the Institute has worked with regard to men and their involvement in gender equality is paternity leave. It developed an awareness-raising campaign to inform men of their rights to paternity leave (10 days, since 2002), and has recently conducted research on this issue (2010) that has received a lot of attention in the press. In 2005-2006, the Institute organised 3 conferences on men and equality, and subsequently published the conference proceedings. The main aim of these conferences was to inform and develop expertise. However, the Institute's projects are mainly focused on gender equality from the point of view of women, and projects on men tend to be ad hoc. Therefore, we have not (yet) developed any real strategies towards working with or for men.
- Men and Equality, 2007 publication of conference proceedings of three conferences on men and equality held in 2005-2006. http://igvm-iefh.belgium.be/fr/publications/mannen_en_gelijkheid.jsp
- Partner choice and marriage of immigrant men, 2009 research report. http://igvm-iefh.belgium.be/fr/publications/partnerkeuze_en_huwelijkssluiting_van_allochtone_mannen.jsp?referer=tcm:337-77889-64
- Emotional, physical and sexual abuse: the experiences of women and men, 2010 research report, with attention to male victims of violence. See: http://igvm-iefh.belgium.be/fr/publications/ervaringen_van_vrouwen_en_mannen_met_psychologisch_fysiek_en_seksueel_geweld.jsp
- Paternity leave in Belgium: the experiences of employees , 2011 research report. See: http://igvm-iefh.belgium.be/fr/publications/de_ervaringen_van_werknemers_met_vaderschapsverlof_in_belgi_.jsp?referer=tcm:337-114289-64
- The Institute participated in the project "Men's changing family roles in Europe" (Coface, 2006-2007), and has published the summary and recommendations of the project. See: http://igvm-iefh.belgium.be/fr/etudes/mannen_en_gezinnen.jsp; http://coface-eu.org/en/European-Projects/Project-MEN-FAMILIES/The-Project/
- The Institute has financed/finances different projects on/with (male) perpetrators of domestic violence. The Institute shall be launching an evaluation of these projects in 2011; this continues the evaluation work that was done in 2006-2007. (No electronic version of this evaluation report available.)