FGM Prevalence in Hungary -- estimation
The estimation on the number of women possibly affected by FGM is based on the estimated number of women from countries where FGM is documented:
- residing in Hungary with residence permit;
- those who have obtained a refugee status in the past ten years;
- those who have obtained temporarily protected status (‘oltalmazott’, ‘befogadott’);
- currently residing in one of the reception centres operated by OIN or the alien policing detention centres (‘őrzött szállás’) operated by the National Police.
No data are available regarding children (girls) born in Hungary with a migrant background from affected countries.
It is estimated that the number of migrant women affected by FGM in Hungary is between 170 and 350.
Data (by sex and origin country) was provided by the Office of Immigration and Nationality in 2011 and WHO's FGM prevalence data by country and WADI's FGM prevalence for Iraque was used for estimating FGM prevalence.
Year of data collection
1. 2008 (December 31) 2. the past 10 years 3. the past 5 years 4. 2011 (time of the research)
Women residing in Hungary with residence permit, women who have obtained a refugee status in the past ten years, women who have obtained temporarily protected status (‘oltalmazott’, ‘befogadott’) and women currently residing in one of the reception centres operated by OIN or the alien policing detention centres (‘őrzött szállás’) operated by the National Police.
Prevalence data on FGM
The estimation indicates that the number of migrant women affected by FGM in Hungary is between 170 and 350.
The number of those women who came from the same origin country and reside in Hungary with different types of permits were summed. Then, using the FGM-prevalence data of the countries of origin, the number of FGM-affected women was calculated. By adding up the FGM-affected women from different origin countries, the total is 263 women. 70 women recognized as refugees were added to the latter, but it is important to recognise that there is no information about how many of them are actually residing in Hungary. According to data from the autumn of 2011, there are 7-8 women living in guarded accommodation who have undergone FGM and 1-5 hosted or protected persons were also taken into account in the calculation.
Disaggregated data per country of origin
Disaggregated data per age
Limitations of study
- No data are available regarding children (girls) born in Hungary with a migrant background from affected countries.
- There is an overestimation regarding the 350 women possibly affected by FGM because:
- Probably some of these women do not reside in Hungary anymore
- The estimation includes girls aged between 0-13 and among them the prevalence of FGM must be lower (but it was admitted that these girls are also probably at risk of undergoing FGM in the future, so from that point of view they are also affected by FGM.)
- It was assumed that the prevalence of FGM among the migrant women was the same as among the female population of the country of origin, but presumably those who are able to migrate have a different status and it can have effect on the prevalence of FGM in this group.
- Iraqi Kurds were not taken into account because we have no data about the prevalence of FGM in this ethnic group.