Training of Key persons
Training van Sleutelpersonen
Key persons who work on a voluntary basis, are members of the affected communities and who are recruited and training have been crucial in the fight against FGM in the NL, as they are considered to have a key position to bring about change regarding FGM in their own communities. They work towards breaking the taboo on FGM and providing information through house calls and group gatherings. This training tool aims to make key persons familiar with various aspects of FGM and to teach communication skills to discuss this subject within the community.
• Different aspects of FGM and the complex relationship (different forms of FGM, cultural context, risk and prevalence countries in Africa and risk groups living in the Netherlands).
• Medical, psychological, social and relational consequences of FGM.
• Legislation and policy in the Netherlands; insight into how the AMK works.
• International trends and developments in Africa.
• Social map around FGM.
• Motivational interviewing in an intercultural setting.
• Understand why FGM should stop.
Trainers: Pharos trainer, trainer of FSAN and a Somali training actor.
Duration of training: 4 sessions
Author(s): Pharos and Federation Somali Associations Netherlands
Cost to obtain the method/tool: Purchasable