Gender Equality Training
Step 10: Set up an evaluation framework
Along with the design and implementation of the initiative, an evaluation framework needs to be developed to measure the outcomes of the initiative. Outcome evaluation looks at the changes that have occurred as a result of the implementation of the programme.
At the individual level, the gender competence development initiative should have the immediate outcomes of:
- Raising awareness about the relevance of gender-equality considerations in various policy areas;
- Lowering resistance to mainstream gender-equality issues;
- Developing knowledge and skills on how to mainstream gender in day-to-day work; and
- Developing competencies on how to use gender-equality tools.
At an organisational level, gender competence development initiatives should foster:
- Implementation of new policies, practices and activities where gender is mainstreamed;
- Consultations with different actors to ensure that different voices are heard in the decision-making process;
- Use of gender-sensitive language and material within the organisation; and
- Clearly formulated performance indicators that can be used to plan future initiatives.
Checklist: what can comissioning authorities do in collaboration with the trainers to evaluate outcomes
Even when outcomes have taken a limited form, evaluation offer a means to assess the level of change sparked by the gender-equality training programme on an individual and institutional level.