Gender Equality Training
Step 10: Set up an evaluation framework
Along with the design and implementation of the initiative, an evaluation framework needs to be developed to measure the outcomes of the initiative. Outcome evaluation looks at the changes that have occurred as a result of the implementation of the programme.
At the individual level, the gender competence development initiative should have the immediate outcomes of:
- Raising awareness about the relevance of gender-equality considerations in various policy areas;
- Lowering resistance to mainstream gender-equality issues;
- Developing knowledge and skills on how to mainstream gender in day-to-day work; and
- Developing competencies on how to use gender-equality tools.
At an organisational level, gender competence development initiatives should foster:
- Implementation of new policies, practices and activities where gender is mainstreamed;
- Consultations with different actors to ensure that different voices are heard in the decision-making process;
- Use of gender-sensitive language and material within the organisation; and
- Clearly formulated performance indicators that can be used to plan future initiatives.
Checklist: what can comissioning authorities do in collaboration with the trainers to evaluate outcomes
Collect participants’ immediate feedback on the training, according to the aims previously set out during the planning phase
Assess participants’ new knowledge according to the learning outcomes identified during the planning phase, asking participants to explain how they think training has helped them immediately at the end of training and some months later
Organise a group discussion (face-to-face or online) to collect participants’ issues and practical examples of the newly learned gender tools being applied some months later
Gather information on the practical integration of gender concerns into the organisation’s work, such as the number of programmes where gender is mainstreamed; the number of gender analyses that have been carried out, etc.
Gather information on the integration of gender concerns into the internal work culture, such as new gender-aware human resources policies and procedures, more gender-equal decision-making process…
Even when outcomes have taken a limited form, evaluation offer a means to assess the level of change sparked by the gender-equality training programme on an individual and institutional level.