Joining efforts towards Gender Equality in the EU 2010 - 2015
Taking place in a moment when a new five year Strategy for Equality between Women and Men has been recently announced, the International Seminar "Joining efforts towards Gender Equality in the EU 2010 - 2015" is to foster the debate on EIGE’s joint work with different partners, from EU Agencies and other Institutions, to Member States representatives, namely National Bodies for Gender Equality and National Statistics Offices regarding the implementation of the Strategy.
Commission’s Vice-President responsible for Justice, Fundamental Rights and Citizenship, Viviane Reding will present the Commission’s Strategy and will take the opportunity to bestow the prizes to the winners of the Institute'slogo competition.
The participation of Cedefop, Eurofound and FRA will pave the way for close cooperation in several domains. Furthermore, Eurostat and OECD participation will allow us to start paving the way for some of the main tasks ahead of EIGE relating to, for example, the support to EU Council Presidencies regarding Beijing Indicators and the development of the EU Gender Equality Index.
|08:00 – 09:00||Registration|
|09:00 – 10:30||Opening
EIGE’s logo competition winner
|10:30 – 11:00||Press Conference (watch video) / Coffee-break|
|11:00 – 12:30||Complementarities and synergies: EU Agencies and Eurostat
|12:30 – 14:00||Lunch|
The Seminar’s afternoon session is targeted to Member States' representatives from Gender and Equality Bodies and National Statistics Offices
|14:00 – 14:30||Complementarities and synergies: Gender Equality in the Member States
Michel Pasteel, Representative of the Belgium Presidency of the Council of Ministers of the EU, Director of the Institute for the equality of women and men
|14:30 – 16:00||
|16:00 – 16:30||Coffee break|
|16:30 – 17:00||Reports from the workshops (watch video part 1/2, part 2/2)
Moderator: Barbara Wurster, Head of EIGE’s Operations Unit
|17:00 – 17:30||Closing|
- Speech (.pdf, 73,5KB) by Ms. Viviane Reding, Vice-President of the European Commission responsible for Justice, Fundamental Rights and Citizenship
- Documenting - Analysing - Giving Impetus: EIGE's Role for Gender Equality Policy in Europe (.pdf - 54,7KB) by Ms. Eva Maria Welskop-Deffaa, Chair of EIGE's Management Board
- Communication (.pdf - 60,4 KB) by Mr. François Laumonier, Ambassador of France in Lithuania
- "Complementarities and synergies: EU Agencies and Eurostat" (.pdf - 113 KB) by Ms. Virginija Langbakk, EIGE's Director
- "EIGE and Eurofound: Complementarities and synergies" (.pdf - 201 KB), by Mr. Jorma Karppinen, Eurofound Director
- "Cedefop and EIGE" (.pdf - 270 KB), by Mr. Christian F. Lettmayer, Cedefop Acting Director
- "A statistical portrait on women and men in Europe" (.pdf - 828 KB) by Ms. Inna Šteinbuka, Eurostat Director for social and information society statistics
- "Gender statistics in the European Statistical System (ESS)" (.pdf, 776 KB) by Mr. Didier Dupré, Eurostat Head of section “Earnings, labour costs, PEEI for the labour market” statistics
- "Measuring discrimination against women: The Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI)" (.pdf - 1,18MB) by Ms. Karen Barnes, Gender Project Coordinator, OECD Development Centre
- Communication (.pdf - 297 KB) by Ms. Franciska Mikulas, Head of the Equality Department, Ministry of National Resources, Hungary
EIGE's role within the Strategy
The Strategy for Equality between Women and Men for 2010 – 2015 pinpoints the Institute's actions:
- Support the development and up-date of indicators in the critical areas of the Beijing Platform for Action (2011 – 2015).
- Set up a documentation centre accessible to the public with existing statistics, data and information, functioning models and approaches to gender mainstreaming (2012).
- Provide support to the development of mainstreaming tools and methods (2011 – 2015).
- Develop a gender equality index (2012).
- Establish a virtual European Network on gender Equality (2012).